Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Making the shoe fit - not them fit the shoe!

I must preface this with saying I am in no way an expert in any area really and I write this out of my love for my gorgeous son Thomas.

I remember completing special education courses as components of my Bachelor of Teaching Degree. I went on to do some more work in the area when I was completing my 4 year training - Bachelor of Education. I was a 'targeted graduate' and got a job immediately so I had to complete my '4th year' part time while working and teaching a Year One class and then a Kindergarten class!

Anyway.... I was passionate about learning about students with disabilities and modifying the curriculum etc etc etc..... One thing that really stands out was a comment by the best lecturer I ever had (although there were many great ones). He talked about the special education setting, or mainstream setting in general, fitting the child and not the child having to fit it.

I get sooooooo tired of people asking, "Will Thomas go to a normal school?"

NORMAL?????????

I don't know what is normal for me anymore but my stock-standard response now is, "Thomas will go where ever he needs to go!"

And when I look at my bubbly boy who cuddles me when he sees me 'having a bad day', I know with all my heart and drive that I will fight until the 'shoe fits him' and not the other way around!

2 comments:

Lisa - Mum to Mitch,Harry and Jack said...

Dear Jode,
Like you my hope is that I can provide the boys with the education and life skills which best suit them. Thank you for writing so eloquently about an issue of such importance,
Your friend,
Lisa
mum to Mitch & Harry

Polished Peripherals said...

That was funny Jodi. I just posted to my blog about Alex's new shoes and then I saw the title of your latest post and though Alex and Tom were copying each other again.
I can't believe people ask you that about Tom. I have never seen him as NOT normal. Unless you count the fact that he is super bright and chirpy and active and talks so much better than Alex. Oh and the climbing is such a bad influence :)